Sunday, October 21, 2012

Tiene sueltos? Do you have something smaller?

$10s are almost as bad as $20s
I've even had a $5 turned down
¿Tiene sueltos?

You get that question just about every time you try to spend a $10 or $20 dollar bill.  Merchants, restaurants, taxi drivers, etc., just do not seem to have change.

Unfortunately the ATM spits out $20s, so I often have a $20 in my pocket.


First, let me say I know that I am lucky to have enough money to live comfortably here in Ecuador. I am thankful for that.

But one day while riding the green bus to Quito (with a $20 in my pocket) I got to thinking: I worry more about will I be able to use my $20 as opposed to do I have enough money with me. You find yourself planning your day by thinking about which places will take your $20 and trying to go to those places first.


Could not take my credit card and
did not have less than $5.00 in change
when I paid for an airline ticket.

At the end of my sailing trip from Salinas to Bahía, I had to buy an airplane ticket to get back to Quito. I had brought along my credit card just for this one purchase.

When we got to the travel agency, they said “sorry we cannot take credit cards today because our phone lines are not working”.

The cost of the ticket was $85.58. I just happen to have $90 with me, and so I paid in cash, and guess what? They did not have change. First, the two employees looked in their purses for change and then finally one when next door to the police station to get change. I was amazed!



So, always be on the lookout for a place that can take your $20 so you can get change.  Because if you do not have change for the next place you visit, more than likely they will not be able to accept your $20.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi!
Thanks for leaving a comment.
I'll have a look at comments periodically and respond.