Sunday, August 26, 2012

First Two Days


Hotel Sierra Madre - found it in guidebook

Wednesday Night Arrival (22 August)

I arranged for a hotel for my first night in Quito since I was arriving at about 11 p.m.  The immigration line was long and took 1 hour to pass through.

The hotel said they’d have a person at the airport entrance holding a sign with my name.  My eyes scanned the crowd and there he was!




Front of Cecilia's House



Thursday Morning Pickup (23 August)

My room while unpacking

On Thursday Cecilia (my host) said she’d come to the hotel to pick me up.  Luckily my Ecuador phone worked, and 45 minutes later she was there.  We rode back to her house and there I unpacked.








View out my bedroom window
My phone is a loaner from Ray, which takes SIM chips.  I’d bought the SIM (Movistar) when here in June and had some time left on it.  It still worked!


My desk in Fausto's office - Maxwell 218
After unpacking Cecilia drove me to campus - it's a 20 minute walk but she wanted to drive me that first day so I would not get lost.  There I wandered toward the building where I thought the department chair’s office (Profesor Fausto Pasmay) was and finally had to ask for help.  








My classroom - Einstein 401
I was then led to his office (Maxwell 218) and there he was.  He was busy but stopped what he was doing to get my laptop set up for WiFi, showed me my classroom.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi!
Thanks for leaving a comment.
I'll have a look at comments periodically and respond.